This cake is rich. It’s decadent. It’s to die for… It’s the perfect comfort food. Who doesn’t want to dive into chocolate cake and feel soothed, always. It’s also gluten, dairy and refined sugar free. As well as being packed with protein (given the quinoa) and magnesium. What more could you want!
2 cups of cooked quinoa (about 1 and a half cups of dry quinoa)
1/2-3/4 a cup of rice malt syrup (more if you like it sweeter)
1 cup of coconut milk
1/2 a cup of filtered water
3/4 cup of coconut oil
3/4 – 1 cup of cacao (depending on how ‘dark’ you like your chocolate)
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla powder
1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 a teaspoon of bicarb soda
1/2 a teaspoon of baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line and grease a standard cake tin (approx 20cm diameter).
2. If you are starting without cooked quinoa (I will sometimes have a heap in the fridge and use it up by making this little chocolate treat) then pop the quinoa in a pan, cover with water and cook as per packet instructions.
3. With your blender of choice place lightly combine the 3 eggs. Add rice malt syrup, cooked quinoa, coconut milk and filtered water. Blend until it is a luscious silky type of consistency. If it is too sticky then add a little more filtered water or a little more coconut milk**. Add coconut oil and lightly combine.
4. In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients. Make a well and slowly pour in the wet ingredients. Fold together until combined well**.
5. Pour into prepared cake tin and pop into the oven (middle rack works best) for approx 45-60 mins depending on your oven. Test with a skewer when ready. If the skewer comes out clean, great. If it doesn’t cook for a little longer ensuring that you’re not burning the edges. This cake is a heavier moist cake (a little like a brownie) so the skewer may come out a bit sticky regardless.
A Berry Coulis – lightly blend a cup of strawberries (or whatever you have – can be frozen or fresh), a small handful of mint and a couple of teaspoons of apple cider vinegar together.
Some fresh blueberries.
And Loving Earth Raw Chocolate (pictured!).
*will keep for approximately 7 days in an airtight container in the fridge. **two points that you can taste test and add more rice malt syrup if you would like it sweeter.